Distributor Programs for Today’s Challenges
TODAY’S DISTRIBUTOR CHALLENGES
- Customer service demands are increasing
- Costs to manage and carry inventory are increasing
- Business profits are decreasing
If these challenges look familiar, and your company is looking for answers to these challenges, The Inventory Management and Resource Utilization programs of REM Associates offer practical solutions to today’s business managers. These programs are specifically designed to focus on Distributors and Wholesalers and are customized to meet your business’ individual needs.
PROGRAM GOAL: IMPROVE OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
- REDUCE THE SIZE AND COST OF INVENTORY
- REDUCE DELIVERED PRODUCT COSTS
- INCREASE OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS
- MAINTAIN OR INCREASE SERVICE TO CUSTOMERS
PROGRAM FOCUS: CUSTOMIZED TO YOUR UNIQUE BUSINESS REQUIREMENTS
- INVENTORY MANAGEMENT PROCESS REVIEW
- INTEGRATED INVENTORY MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
- OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT ASSESSMENT
- OPERATIONS PRODUCTIVITY IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
- SEMINARS AND TRAINING ON:
- INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
- OPERATIONS IMPROVEMENT
IMPROVED INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
Inventory Management Process Review
Focus: Conduct a diagnostic review and perform an analysis of inventory and purchasing practices. This includes the procedures, policies, and inventory data and systems for managing inventory and purchasing product.
- Profile of inventory by volume, classification, and turnover
- Identification of potential for inventory reduction
- Estimate of savings potential, both capital and operating
Integrated Inventory Management Program
Focus: Conduct an in-depth evaluation, develop recommended changes, and implement a revised program for purchasing and inventory management. Our program evaluates forecasting, ordering procedures, vendor lead times, potential for line consolidation, along with detailed product analyses by SKU and simulation of inventory improvement results to estimate savings opportunities. Our program includes:
- ABC analysis of inventory
- Evaluation of vendor order & receipt cycles
- Inventory profile and size
- Replenishment procedures
- Measures, standards, and reports
- Increase in inventory turns of 20-30%
- Reduction in product inventory of 20-40%
- Reduction in inventory working capital of 25-35%
- Reduction in operating costs of 25% of inventory value.
IMPROVED OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
Operations Management Assessment
Focus: Conduct a diagnostic review of warehousing and transportation operations, including: purchasing, warehousing and facilities, delivery and equipment, customer service, and order processing functions.
- “Report card” on operations effectiveness
- Recommended areas of improvement
- Estimate of potential savings
Operations Productivity Improvement Program
Focus: An in-depth review of all operating and service functions, procedures, policies and practices. Develop specific action plans for improved changes. Assist management in implementation and follow up, including:
- Facility layout and plan
- Personnel training
- Performance measures and standards
- Detailed description of operations effectiveness and productivity
- Specific recommendations on:
- Warehouse layout
- Warehouse storage and slotting
- Operations methods improvements
- Performance measures
- Plan for implementation including tasks and timing
- Reduction in warehousing and delivery costs of 15-20%
Our seminar and training programs are designed to inform, educate, and provide tools to all levels of management to carry out responsibilities in the most cost and service effective manner in support of your business goals and objectives. These include:
- Inventory management strategies and systems
- Inventories and flow of materials
- Inventory control techniques
- Inventory investment, service, costing, and forecasting
- Purchasing procedures and decision rules
- MRP/DRP/JIT order and planning systems
• Planning manpower, equipment, and workloads
• Facilities design and planning
• Performance measurement
• Methods improvements
• Supervision- role, skills and communications
• We specialize in distributor and wholesaler operations and have worked for:
o Alling & Cory
o Eastern Paper Ltd.
o Foley Distributing Co.
o S. Freedman & Sons
o Philip Rosenau Paper Co., Inc.
o Unisource, Inc.
o Scott Paper Company
• We know product logistics and distributor operating functions
• We have experience in evaluating and implementing improvements
• We have obtained significant results with our programs
• We have a professional staff which has:
o Seasoned business consulting experience
o Substantial operations experience
o Broad technical expertise
REM Associates provides consulting services designed to assist a wide range of consumer and industrial companies where operations and service improvements can help management focus programs and efforts to increase market share and profits, and improve service to customers.
We have effectively served many clients in this specific area over a long period of time. Through our experience, we have become familiar with current trends and practices and know what to look for as well as how to look.
REM Associates is a network of highly experienced consulting personnel. These senior management people provide tailored resources to meet the specific needs of each company within a fee structure that is substantially lower than the larger management consulting firms.
Copyright@2009, REM Associates of Princeton, Inc. 20 Nassau Street, Suite 244, PO Box 7345, Princeton, NJ 08543-7345. All rights reserved.