James H. Muir
Jim Muir is a consultant in supply chain operations and provides executive services to small businesses. He has experience in consumer goods and retail companies as well as commercial and industrial distribution. As a results-oriented professional, he has successfully completed numerous improvement projects and large implementation programs.
In 1971 Jim began his career in the Traffic Department of Fruehauf Corp. and later as a fleet and warehouse manager with Texaco, Inc. In 1977, he joined Cleveland Consulting Associates, a progressive logistics consulting company. Jim then worked for General Electric before starting his own consulting practice. From the late 1980’s to the present he has performed a variety of consulting and management engagements centered on logistics and operations.
Foremost among his many skills is the ability to plan and execute implementation programs. He has coordinated teams of business partners to achieve successful results in time sensitive environments. Jim has been the on-site and hands-on director of the following recent projects:
• Implementation of a new distribution center for the US distributor of high value brand name consumer goods
• Complete inventory transfer of consumer goods from one 3PL to another 3PL for a Fortune 25 catalog operation
• Startup of a new “.com” warehouse with control of initial setup and operations
In addition to consulting, Jim has provided COO and CFO services to two companies in Southeast Michigan. One operation was a distribution spin-off of a computer reseller. The other involved a manufacturing services company reorganization.
Jim’s recent engagements include the following companies: Amway, Con Agra Foods, FTD, Giant Bicycle, Kidde Fire & Safety, K. J. Law Engineers, Novastarsolutions.com, Owens-Corning Fiberglas, Petstore.com, Philip Morris, Rostam U.S., Travel Centers of America, Yamaha Corporation of America.
Jim has a B.A. from Michigan State University and an M.B.A from Case Western Reserve University.
Jim is President of Logistics SSI, Inc., a consulting firm focused on Operations and Logistics.
“Experience to tackle serious supply chain needs”
Experience and Capabilities Summary
James H Muir
Implement logistics and operations programs lasting 2 months to 1 year:
• Logistics strategy implementations
• New warehouse operations startups
• Warehouse improvement programs
• Small company startups
Qualify and evaluate third party logistics providers (3PL’s) for retail and industrial goods shippers:
• Logistics network requirements development (including service requirements, network partners and operational budgets)
• Third Party Logistics provider selection (including qualifying candidates, conducting the bid process and directing the selection process)
• High level Implementation Planning (including contracting, resource requirements, timing, and budgeting)
Identify cost reduction and service improvement programs:
• Customer service requirements
• Warehouse operations
• Storage systems
• Facility layout
• Inventory management
• Transportation cost reduction
• Fleet operations
• Routing and scheduling
• Local delivery
Provide interim COO and CFO services for small companies:
• Operations setup
• Financials and budgeting
• Owner advise and counsel
• Special projects